If your school uses Google G Suite and you would like to attach a Google document to an Assignment that you want each of your learners to be able to edit their own copy in G Suite, this article will walk you through how you do this in SchoolWise.
Note: If you do not want your learners to edit the file the follow this article here.
How you can set an assignment using a Google document that can be edited by your learners
1. In your class group, click on the Assignments tile.
2. Then click on the Set Assignment button.
3. The Assignment panel will appear where you can enter in the details of the assignment you want to set. Complete the details and then, click on Attach Reference Material.
4. This will display the Select Files panel where you can browse for your file from a number of different locations. Once you have selected your file, click the Select button.
Note: when selecting a file from Google Drive choose the Download option instead of Link option. In order for your learners to be able to view and edit the file in Google G Suite it must be a docs, sheets or slides format, Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents will also work.
5. You will be notified that your reference material has been successfully added to your assignment. The option Students can view file is automatically chosen for you.
6. There are two options: Students can view file or Students an edit their own copy. As you would like your learner to be able to edit their own copy, click on the Students can edit their own copy option. Finally, click on the Set button.
Your assignment has been successfully set and will appear in the list for you and your learners. This will also appear in the School Calendar for you and your learners.
A notification message will automatically be sent to all your learners that a new assignment was set. If they do not read this message in SchoolWise it will automatically be sent in the end of day email.
How your learners can view and edit the Google document on the assignment that you have set:
1. Your learners can view the Assignments in the class by clicking on the Assignments tile. When they visit the screen they will have a View button that the click to view the details of the Assignment that you have set them.
2. The Assignment Turn-in panel will be display and you will noticed the file is in the Your work to turn-in section for the learner. They can then click the Open button to start editing the document.
3. The document will launch the application in Google G Suite online where they can go ahead and edit the file.
Note: it will automatically save their work as they go along so they don't have to.
4. As this is saved automatically, your learners will not have to worry about where to store or attach the file. Once they have completed their work on the document, they need to click on the Turn In button. This will send their work back to you for review and grading.
5. They are notified in the top right hand corner letting them know their assignment has been successfully turned in. Also, they can see that their work is being reviewed.
How you can view your learners turned-in work
1. In your Assignments section in your class group, as learners start turning in their work, you will see the Turned-in number increment. Simply click on the Turned-in number as shown.
2. The Grade panel will appear where you view who has turned in work for the assignment. Click on the arrow next to the learner to view their work and grade them. They will automatically get a message notifying them of their grade and it will also go in the end of day email also.
Note: If you do not want to grade your learners for work that they turn-in using SchoolWise, just click enable the Do not grade learners toggle when setting the assignment.
Then, click on Open or Download on your learners assignment to view their work. If you click on the Open button the document will automatically open in G Suite online.
See it in action